Plucked: From Page to Screen #1

12:36 Cilla 7 Comments


Welcome to Plucked: From Page to Screen! Inspired by how we watch TV series almost as much as we read books, Cam and I came up with this feature. What if we take a character from a bookish or a television universe and toss them into a different one, in the other medium? Every month, we’ll be sharing our mash-ups with you.

---

Because we have been doing a book club of The Princess Diaries series, and we’re both fans of the DC tv universe, we’re kicking off this feature by pondering this question: how would the kids of Albert Einsten High School fare in the world of Arrow and The Flash? For my post, I’ve chosen to focus on Michael Moscovitz and Star City.

From The Princess Diaries books, we know that Michael Moscovitz is highly intelligent; he’s a musician, computer expert, robotic-arm-inventor. He’s level-headed, as indicated by the various conversations between him and Mia in which he puts her anxiety at ease. It’s possible that he’s simply a decent communicator. 



As for Star City, it is a metropolitan home to big businesses and corporations. It is also overrun with crime, corruption, and poverty. They have had to deal with a bomb, an army of super strong murderers, and the threat of Ra’as Al Ghul. It’s gloomy, dangerous, and angsty pretty much all the time. I don’t know how much it is like New York (where Michael grew up), but considering he lived a relatively privileged life I’d wager that he’s never come up with the kind of darkness Oliver Queen and his team has had to deal with.

If Michael lived in Star City, I think he would grow up to work in Palmer Technologies, the business formerly known Queen Corporation. He would hit it off with Felicity Smoak, both having an interest and skills in computers. Felicity also has the wit to verbally spar with him if necessary! 



I can’t imagine he would have cared for Oliver much, nor would he feel compelled to join the vigilantes. For one, he’s opposed to organised groups and probably wouldn’t take well to Oliver’s leadership style. For another, Michael has never struck me as someone who cares strongly about a cause. I think he’d prefer to find a way out of Star City rather than stick around.

What do you think? Can you picture Michael hanging out with Team Arrow? Check out Cam's post to see who she's plucking from Princess Diaries and into Central City!

7 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but I LOVE THIS POST!! I’ve never seen Arrow, but I have been introduced to Felicity on The Flash, and agree that she would get along well with Michael. They could have that M.I.T/Columbia connection, and she would understand the topics he tries to tell Mia about that he is learning in class.
    -Cam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 There's a part of my brain that wants to write out a potential conversation between Felicity and Michael, as I think they'd be so fun to play off each other. Unfortunately I don't know either of them enough for that!

      Delete
  2. This is so much fun combining different series and mediums. Michael Moscovitz would definitely work with the techies of Star City. It would be hilarious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be! I'd love to see how a conversation between him, Ray Palmer, and Felicity would go. :D Thanks for stopping by, Annalisse!

      Delete
  3. I clicked on this expecting just a normal book-to-movie adaption post (which I love) but this is so much BETTER. I LOVE the idea of this feature and can't wait for more of it!

    BUT, for this one, I've only ever seen the Princess Diaries movies but I can still totally imagine Michael in Star City (I LOVE Arrow). I'm mostly stuck on the hanging out with Felcity part because I can totally see them being almost friends and him kind of silently dispising everything and rolling his eyes about everything with the Arrow. I don't know why, but that's what I'm picturing. LOVE this post. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shay! :D *highfives* I love Arrow too! I can totally imagine him rolling his eyes about the Arrow. Michael's parents are therapists in the book, so I imagine he'll be impatient about Oliver's inability to discuss his feelings haha. Thanks again for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  4. I love the idea for this feature! It's so creative and a lot of fun to read. It's been a LONG time since I read the Princess Diaries (or watched Arrow) but I really like the scenario you came up with here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)