Wishlist Wednesday: The Pillars of the Earth

18:55 Cilla 0 Comments

Wishlist Wednesday is basically what it says on the tin - this is where I talk about the books I want to read, in case anyone who knows me in RL reads this blog and needs an idea for my next birthday ;). Also, if you have read a book mentioned here, let me know what you think about it!

Anyway, this is the book that's been on the top of my TBR list for two years now: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.


In a time of civil war, famine and religious strife, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge. Against this backdrop, lives entwine: Tom, the master builder, Aliena, the noblewoman, Philip, the prior of Kingsbridge, Jack, the artist in stone and Ellen, the woman from the forest who casts a curse. At once, this is a sensuous and enduring love story and an epic that shines with the fierce spirit of a passionate age.

No, it's not because of Oprah's Book Club. This is the book that my parents have been telling me to read over and over. The fact that it came recommended from my parents is exactly why I was shocked when I picked it up last year. There was a lot of sex and violence for a book about building a church! My dad doesn't even ask me about boys, and he wants me to read this? Mind you, I was 22 already, but it was still bizarre. So I asked him why, and he said because it's a good book, and all of the violence is accurate to that historical period anyway. 

I read about two chapters from my parents' copy during that semester break before I had to go back to uni. I didn't want to take it with me and commit to such a massive book during the semester, so I haven't finished it. Considering I don't remember most of those two chapters, I consider it not yet read at all. 

By now, this is an item on my bucket list: I'd like to finish reading this book before I die. 



0 comments:

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)