Review: Animorphs #41 - The Familiar

15:05 Cilla 0 Comments

Title: Animorphs #41 - The Familiar
Author: K.A. Applegate
Source: Ebook
Synopsis: Jake seems to have grown up overnight - literally. He goes to bed as his usual kid-self and wakes up ten years older to find the world completely taken over by Yeerks. All the other Animorphs are either dead or Yeerk-infested, and Jake alone is left to fight. Is it all just a horrific dream, or has the Yeerk invasion truly succeeded?

Review: ⋆⋆⋆

"Victory without self-sacrifice? You know better than that."

I'm really on the fence about this one. On one hand, it's fascinating to read about this post-apocalyptic world. I loved the exploration of what one night of indifference might snowball into. The future versions of the Animorphs were quite shockingly different from the people we know, but their changes also made sense in the context of this universe.

On the other hand, I feel like the idea of time-travel has been exploited to death in this series. Haven't one of the Animorphs paid a visit to an alternate future universe before? I'm fairly sure Rachel did... Anyway, I'm not sure if this installment adds anything to the overarching plot either, apart from Jake learning a lesson about the choices he makes. I'm also still confused about that ending, though I'm interested to see if it would be explained somewhere down the line.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read but not particularly impressive for me.

0 comments:

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)